Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 2.5 cups elbow macaroni
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 can evaporated milk
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2.5 cup mild cheddar cheese shredded
- 2.5 cup white sharp cheddar shredded
- 1 cup herb breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish and set aside
- In a large pan, cook the macaroni according to package directions but cook it 1-2 minuets under. (it will continue cooking as it bakes later)
- Drain the pasta and drizzle with olive oil to prevent it from drying out while making sauce. Set noodles aside.
- In the same pan, melt 4 tbsp butter over medium-low heat. Once butter is melted add in flour and whisk for about 3 minutes.
- Pour in 1 cup of milk and whisk until any lumps are gone and the mixture is smooth.
- Add evaporated milk, salt, and pepper. Continue whisking until mixture is smooth and begins to boil and thicken.
- Stir in 4 cups of white/mild cheddar cheese and stir until the cheese is melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in the macaroni noodles.
- Pour mixture into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle remaining cheese over the top of the mixture.
- In a small bowl, mix together breadcrumbs and melted 4 tbsp melted butter. Sprinkle over mac and cheese dish.
- Bake mac and cheese for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and top is golden brown.